Monday, May 6, 2013

A Peace Piece

So to address the "Peace" piece of my blog I wanted to share with you that I tried something new today- yoga! I have always wanted to do it and in the past I let my head get in the way. I was never an athlete or gymnast and I can't touch my toes without bending my knees so I figured yoga was out for me. Luckily, a lot of people I have met here in Colorado do yoga regularly and convinced me that I could and should do it. I listened.

The timing seemed perfect to try it out, as a new yoga studio just opened up right down the street. Still feeling intimidated, I called to ask about beginner classes and was pleasantly surprised to learn that most of the classes offered are suitable for beginners. The woman on the phone was very reassuring, positive, and welcoming to a yoga newbie. I could feel the tension leaving my body already! :)

I was so excited about it that I asked my big sister if she would like to join me. She shared that she had the same fears and reservations about yoga as me, but has also been wanting to try it. Ahhh, the bonds of sisterhood! We looked at the schedule to see what worked best for both of us and decided on the class called "Lunch Vinyasa." For all the foodie readers, there was no lunch involved. The class is offered at noon, hence the name. :) Vinyasa means the linking of body movement with breath. This was to be the focus of the class. 

I met my sister at the studio 15 minutes before the class started. We were immediately welcomed by a friendly face and given a tour. I fell in love with the yoga space right away. They call it the Tree studio because it is decorated with greens and blues and there are beautifully hand painted trees on the walls. The ceiling is softly lit and draped in white to give it the appearance of clouds in a forest. Perfect for someone who loves spending time in nature! :) I felt relaxed and calm the minute I stepped foot in there. They provided everything we needed for the class including mats, blocks, bolsters, and eye pillows. 


The beautiful and peaceful Tree studio at Rise Yoga in Erie. This picture is from their website: http://rise-yoga.com/

Because the yoga studio is so new we were informed that class sizes have been small. There was actually only 1 other woman signed up for the class we were taking- not too surprising considering it was noon on a Monday I guess! It was nice having a small class because as a newbie it was less intimidating. This also meant more one-on-one time with the teacher. We had talked with the instructor when we arrived and informed her that it was our very first time doing yoga so she taught the class at a very beginner level for our benefit. We learned how to move and breathe in a sequence of simple to more complex flowing postures. Our teacher was fantastic- very calming, assuring, and patient. We used muscles that we never used before! It was nice to turn to the side and share a smile or laugh with my sister when we were in a more strenuous posture, and luckily our teacher encouraged this. It was a great beginner experience and I am so glad we went. We both felt rejuvenated immediately after.

I am planning to take more classes at Rise Yoga studio. They offer one in the evening called "Relax and Restore Yoga" that is supposed to be great for stress relief. I am hoping yoga will increase my flexibility, strengthen my back muscles to keep aches at bay, and give me a sense of calm similar to that I have when I am hiking. I think these are goals I can achieve through yoga. 

If anybody who is reading this has refrained from trying yoga because of similar fears or concerns like I had before, please ignore your head and try it! You will be grateful. Just go at your own pace and don't be intimidated by others.  For anyone who has been practicing yoga for awhile I would love if you shared your first experience with me! :)

Check out Rise Yoga's website for more info and class schedules!
http://rise-yoga.com/ 

“The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.”
― Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment