Thursday, July 4, 2013

A pressed penny for your thoughts

I love stumbling upon a pressed penny machine. A childish sense of enthusiasm takes over me as I deposit my 51 cents, turn the crank, and wait for my treasure to drop into the tray. Elongated pennies are inexpensive and fun souvenirs. I started collecting them last year when we went to Colorado Springs. I got a couple from the Garden of the Gods, one from the Cave of the Winds, and another at the top of Pike's Peak. When we went to Vail in December I got one at the Colorado Ski and Snowboard Museum. I wanted to display my little collection of pressed pennies so I bought a frame from Hobby Lobby to put them in. In the scrapbooking section I found Colorado travel stickers that included stickers from the locations where I got my keepsakes. I arranged the stickers and the pennies on a piece of cardstock and put them in the frame. It is now hanging in my living room and every time I see it I am reminded of our travel adventures and it makes me smile.
The next time I stumbled upon a pressed penny machine I was not prepared. Jim and I drove on a whim to Lookout Mountain in Golden, Colorado in hopes to see the buffalo herd from the scenic overlook and also to see Buffalo Bill's grave. We were lucky to see the buffalo while driving on the interstate and we saw the gravesite, but what I was not expecting to see was a pressed penny machine. I was so happy until I realized that we did not have any cash on us. I rummaged through my car thinking there must be some spare change on the floor or in the seats, but there was none. I asked at the gift shop if there was an ATM or if I could get cash back from a transaction, but no such luck. I will admit that I even searched the parking lot for dropped change, but it was not in the cards. I learned an important lesson that day. Always carry at least 51 cents with you because you never know when you may find a pressed penny machine! :)

On our most recent trip to Santa Fe I found my favorite machine at the first souvenir shop we stopped in and of course I was prepared this time!
I made 2 different pennies. The first one had the sun symbol of the Zia Pueblo Indians, which is featured on the New Mexico State Flag. The second one was of a kokopelli, a mythical Hopi symbol of fertility, depicted by a humpbacked flute player. I used brand new shiny pennies and they showed off the engravings of both of these iconic southwestern symbols beautifully.
I wanted to make a pair of earrings out of my souvenir pennies. My friend Rhonda said her husband could use his drill press to make holes in the pennies for me. I gave her my two cents (pun intended) and the next day she brought them back to me with 2 perfect holes in them. I made another trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up the supplies I needed: a pair of round nosed pliers, earring wires, jump rings, headpins, and some beads. I found a copper jewelry findings starter kit which had most of the supplies I needed and and a small bag of glass earth-toned beads that I thought would compliment my pennies nicely.
Using 2 smashed pennies, 2 earring wires, 2 jump rings, 2 headpins, and 4 pretty beads I made a beautiful keepsake to cherish my travel memories. It was very easy and it only took about 15 minutes of my time. I love my souvenir earrings and I got a lot of compliments on them the first time I wore them out. The best part is when someone asks me where I got my earrings from and I get to say I made them. :)
I recently discovered this website that tells you all the locations of pressed penny machines around the world....AMAZING! http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx Jim and I are going to South Dakota in September for a weekend getaway to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. I plan on getting a souvenir penny from Mt. Rushmore for sure! :) It will be fun to make another pair of earrings or maybe come up with a new craft to display my little treasures. Any suggestions?

What do you like to collect when you travel? I would love to see your souvenir or pressed penny collections!

No comments:

Post a Comment