Saturday, April 20, 2013

April snow showers bring healthy wildflowers

Just when I thought it was safe to stow away my snow boots for the year, mother nature proved me wrong! We had a major storm this week that brought us about 10 inches of snow! I definitely am ready for spring, but the late storm did boost snowpack in the Colorado River basin. Mountain snowpack is an important part of the water cycle. The annual accumulation and gradual melting of this snowpack is a major factor in maintaining reservoir levels and stream flows. The longer the snow stays the better. A slow melt would allow the thawing ground in the mountains and foothills to absorb more of the moisture, which helps deter wildfires. Slow snow melt is also important for the lifecycle of mountain wildflowers. Wildflowers start to grow as soon as there's no more snow on the ground. If these plants start growing too early, they can be damaged by frost. This leads to fewer seeds and flowers, which means less food for insects and birds. The effects can ripple into the entire ecosystem.

I took this photo on Thursday April 18th- the first day I could see the mountains after the snow storm that started on Monday April 15th.

I will be keeping all of these important benefits in mind this week, as I hear we may be getting more snow. If it means less wildfires, a great wildflower season, and a larger water supply I think I can handle it. This also means I won't be able to hike this weekend. Trail conditions in the foothills are snowy, slushy, and muddy- not the greatest for hiking. Major bummer, but I will be patient. 

Can't wait to see all the happy sunflowers pop up from the ground again! :)

In other news, I did get a pedometer- a surprise gift in the mail from my hubby! Looking forward to using it on the trails! Also, we did pick a weekend in June for our Santa Fe, New Mexico trip and booked a hotel room. I can't wait! :)

My new pedometer!

No comments:

Post a Comment